Thursday, January 29, 2009

MUSIC: Katie GoGo



Katie GoGo

1. Tell me a bit about yourself ( Where are you from, where did you study, how did you get into Music) 
 I was raised in Fort Langley. They have a fort there, it's made out of popsicle sticks.
Music is something that's inside me, it's just an undeniable attraction. I picked up my first guitar in Katimavik and played two chords 'zombie' by the cranberries until everyone hated me...then i learned blondie.


2. Did you always know that you wanted to be an artist? why? 
My hippy parents put me in art school. I didn't really think about any alternative, creativity has always been life for me.

3. What is your dream when it comes to your career? 
to play a duet with Julie Doiron and be in a car commercial.


4. Have you gone through any struggles or obstacles on your path to being an artist? Did anyone of those obstacles/struggles help redefine your career goals?
This one time I moved to toronto on a whim to join a band. We broke up and it was really cold and I had no friends. I would ride my bike a lot and read Hunter S. Thompson. 

5. who is your role model (idol) in your career path? 
Suzy Sabla is my role model to life. Feist is pretty incredible in her innovativeness , her intellect, and the amount of respect she puts into her craft.

Culture: 

6. Where do you see Music going? 
Music is very much a business, it's sink or swim. There are so many musicians I truly appreciate and admire.. but they wouldn't be here if it weren't for the business side.
As for the evolution of music as a whole, music will continue to slice and splice and mix with different genres. Fusing seems to be where music is going. Also disco is coming back. Joke?


7.  Does general society have art stereotypes or preconceived notions about music and the industry that peeves you? 
I think there is an obsession put on image, that's to be expected in todays world.  It doesn't bother me so much, as I just put emphasis on how a band/artist makes me feel. It's the intimacy you can share with a song that makes you such a devout fan to the artist. That's what really matters, not all the hype surrounding the band.


8.  Tell us about your latest ventures
This is where I talk about how I host a night at Honey called The Beehive right? Yeah thats what I thought. It's a 50's rock n roll night hosted by myself & Suzy Q.  Two Rock n roll bands and myself play. We have soul records to spin and lots of good looking friends to dance with. You should totally come. Because hey, you can never know enough babes right?? The Next Beehive is Feb 4th.  Totally.


9.  How do you feel about Vancouver as a venue for Music? 
I love the sense of community that you feel when attending a show at  a smaller venue, like  little mountain or St. James hall.  It's like you've been let in on a secret  and the secret bonds you to your neighbor.  Yet I think we could be better equipped, that would mean more money though. And God knows we're all poor.

 
10. Can you tell us about your sound 
Intimate, soft, lullabies danced out in rhymes.


11. advice to any other aspiring artists? 
hit the ground running until you get exactly what you want.


12. Tell us something funny: 
My hippy parents fed me tofu products until I was 7 and told me it was meat!! I love hippies.

City: 

Favorite Place to Eat:  Foundation

Favorite Place to Hang out:  Marty's pool.

Favorite Place to Shop:  Value Village in Langley

Favorite City:  Banff

What you like about Vancouver:  That the strangers are just friends you haven't made yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment